lefttab about index follow righttab

Wednesday 27 December 2023

2023 Daily Photos // Days 352 - 358

 




17th December 2023
Starting the week with yet another amazing sky!
And finished another jigsaw. 



18th December 2023
I'll always reach out my hand to catch a falling feather.
Tiny little treasures.




19th December 2023
Catch Me If You Can! Lush bath courtesy of Mam!


20th December 2023
Fell down the Ancestry hole yet again...





21st December 2023
I was a little sad not to be going on a nature walk for Winter Solstice today but then
I was treated to a 'Nacreous clouds' show from my own back garden.



22nd December 2023
A dark, moody sky to end the first day of Winter and a bright, misty moon too!



23rd December 2023
A beautiful white release dove joined the rock dove flock today.
This is what happens to those captive-bred birds that people think are cool to throw into the air on their Wedding days etc.
They are just domestic Rock Doves (pigeons), bred to have a specific colouring
and then they are sent into the world to fend for themselves. 
The companies selling these Doves often say that they will return home, however,
a huge amount are killed by accidents or predators because they are captive-bred.
Lucky birds like this one will find a pigeon flock to join and learn how to survive in the wild.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen iridescent Nacreous clouds in my life, but they look amazing. A couple of my friends from Darlington and Durham shared photos of them on Instagram the other day, too. I've never really given much thought to what happens to the doves people release at weddings, but I guess I always assumed they were caught by their owners, and used again and again. I should've known they were basically just sent on their way and left to die. I don't get what's romantic about releasing doves in the first place, but I'm glad that one seems to be thriving at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I until now haha! I hope I get to see them again.

      Yeah, very sad fate that white pigeons have. I'd love to see the face of someone who released doves at their wedding hearing that they're just selectively bred pigeons ha.

      Delete